Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Women's Final Four

If you ever have the opportunity to experience a final four, I HIGHLY recommend it. After Sunday night, I have now had the opportunity to be in attendance at two women’s final fours...both in San Antonio, Texas. What an absolutely awesome atmosphere! Being an Oklahoman, I was there both times to root for the University of Oklahoma, better known here as OU. (Boomer-Sooner!) Even though OU fell a bit short, I have to say that getting the opportunity to be there to see Baylor’s Brittney Griner, Standford’s Nnemkadi Ogwumike and Jayne Appel, and this year’s entire University of Connecticut team live, in action, just 4 rows up from court level was pretty sweet in itself. I’m not sure there are many places where you can see such amazing athleticism, talent, and passion in one spot. The fans are ridiculously enthusiastic as well. I met plenty of people that were diehard fans for one of the four teams in the final four, but I also met people that had no ties to any of the teams but were just lovers of the game of basketball and didn’t want to miss out.
To me, the best action was on the basketball court, but it was also pretty cool to be out on the river walk and see the players and teams out amongst the rest of us “Regular Joe’s”. (No, I wasn’t out stocking for autographs, but I’m sure you could have caught me gawking at Tina Charles when she strolled by!) I didn’t stay for the championship game this year as duty calls back at school, but I did 8 years ago when OU made it to the finals to play Connecticut. I’ll never forget that experience and now I have another one to add to the memory books. Come to think of it, I’d place the excitement and fun of my People to People trip last year right up there with both of these experiences!!! Happy Hoopin' Everyone...Andrea Guziec

No comments:

Post a Comment